Sunday 5 June 2011

May 2011 - Popular Music

Tori Amos
  • Boys for Pele
  • To Venus and Back (studio disc - 'venus orbiting')
  • Strange Little Girls
  • American Doll Posse
  • Audience bootleg - Canberra 16 September 2007
Blur - The Best of
Toni Childs - House of Hope
Melanie C - Northern Star
Sheryl Crow - The Globe Sessions
dc Talk - Jesus Freak
Gomez - In Our Gun
Patty Griffin - Impossible Dream
Jennifer Knapp - The Way I Am
Lifehouse - No Name Face
Wendy Matthews - Ghosts
John Mayer - Continuum
Joni Mitchell - The Hissing of Summer Lawns
Joni Mitchell - Don Juan's Reckless Daughter
Pearl Jam - No Code
Radiohead - The King of Limbs
Something for Kate - The Official Fiction
Sting - Brand New Day
Talk Talk - The Colour of Spring
Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden
Thrice - The Alchemy Index

Almost exactly 20 years ago, someone passed on to me the idea that you have a real library when there are books in it that you've never read.

Arguably I'm trying to negate that idea with this whole concept of keeping track of what I've listened to and ferreting out over time the albums that are hiding away.  But I would certainly subscribe to a couple of related ideas: you have a real music library when there are things in it that you haven't heard for so long that they can feel fresh.  And also, you have a real music library when you can find something to tap into a specific mood when you need to.

Both of those ideas were nicely demonstrated when I listened to The Official Fiction towards the end of the month.  Of the four Something for Kate albums I own, I would usually rate it as my least favourite.  As a result I hadn't listened to it for quite some time - looking at the list of track names before I played it, I found that only about half of them, maybe less, triggered a specific musical recollection.  To use a visual metaphor, the album is very brightly lit - it's full of major keys, and strings, and harmonies in thirds.  It's lit to the point where the shadows are washed out by overexposure.  My recollection of the album as a whole was that the sense of melody becomes a bit too much.

But last weekend, I was in a mood where it was exactly the right thing.  I had an 'aha' moment when I finally identified it as the one CD out of the hundreds in my house that would hit the right emotional spot, because of the unique combination of SFK's trademark earnestness and intensity with this album's particular 'brightness'.  I played The Official Fiction quite a lot over the course of a few days.

Another demonstration of the richness of a large library was No Code, which I bought in February 2010 but hadn't really got to know.  Pearl Jam are a good example of how I respond to some artists, where I know I like them but want them to make me fall in love, and they never quite do.  Actually, in Pearl Jam's case they did manage it once, with Vs.  Ever since then I've dipped into other albums in the hope of them achieving something similar.

So, when I bought No Code second-hand, listened to it once or twice and wasn't blown away, my initial reaction was to mentally sigh just a little and file it away with the other reasonably satisfying Pearl Jam albums that usually get passed over in favour of Vs.  But picking it up again this month with more focus, I started to like it quite a lot.  Where Vs thrilled me with its tightness (especially 'Animal', which is the song that turned me into a fan and which I still think is one of the most brilliant sub-3 minute songs I've ever heard), No Code is a much looser and relaxed affair.  It twists and turns in unexpected directions, and I enjoyed myself once I let the odd excursions wash over me with a sense of adventure.

Finally, another album I pulled out for the first time in at least a couple of years, maybe several more, was Jennifer Knapp's The Way I Am.  When this album came out in 2001 I was still in the closet and Jennifer was one of the rising stars of the contemporay Christian music scene.  Now I'm listening to it, and I'm out as a gay man and Jennifer is persona non grata to most of that scene because she's told the world that she's a lesbian and has been in a relationship since 2002.  It's hard not to listen and wonder how much of her struggle is present in the album - especially the title track.  It's also hard not to relate because her story has so many parallels with my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment